SayLish is a quite-new website to help you listen to English words and phrases – as part of presentations and conversations posted on YouTube. PLUS – you can record your own voice, to compare your pronunciation with the video.
Voice recording support has been added just recently on iPhone/iPad with Safari, and we’ll give an example with that. It also works with Android phones/tablets, and desktop computers.
For example, if you search for videos with the word “infrequently“, you will see part of a YouTube video that contains your chosen word. After you listen to this, you can pause and …
- Repeat this to hear it again
- Go to the next video that contains this word
- or press the “Speaking” button to switch to the screen where you can record your voice
- After you listen, press the microphone to record, and try to pronounce the words you hear. Then press Stop () when you finish
Then you can …
- Compare your pronunciation with the speaker in the video
- Go to the next part of the SAME video
- Go to the next video that contains your search word
Saylish has additional features which we will cover in another posting.