Match the picture with the name of the tool, and find the words in the puzzle…Answers below: Continue reading
Use this web page to practice saying the letters of the alphabet.
Touch the letter and you will hear it pronounced. Then try to repeat it out loud. When you think you can say the letters, try the Speaking Challenge and the Listening Challenge.
Kahoot is a free app where you try to answer questions about many topics, including English, in a game-style way. You get points for answering a question correctly – and quickly. Let’s try a 5-minute Kahoot especially for beginners on this blog:
- Install the free Kahoot app on your iPhone or iPad, or on your Android phone or tablet
- From your phone/tablet, press on the picture below, or this link
- When you press, it should open the Kahoot app and start the game
You can also open the Kahoot app, press “Enter PIN” and enter this number: 0900656
Soon there will be more articles about how to use the Kahoot app to test, and improve your English.
Lots of free movies will be shown outside this summer all around MetroWest and Greater Boston. Movies usually begin at sundown. If the weather is “iffy”, it’s good to check for cancellations before you go.
Here are some outdoor movies showing this weekend:
- Despicable Me 3 – at the Hatch Shell on the Boston Esplanade – Friday night June 22nd
- It Happened One Night – at the Boston Harbor Hotel – Friday June 22nd
Here are some locations with outdoor movie nights this summer:
- Hopedale Movie Night – First movie: Raiders of the Lost Ark at 9PM on Friday June 29th
Hopedale Town Park – Corner of Freedom and Dutcher Streets
- Hopkinton Movies on the Common – First movie: The Incredibles at ~8:30PM on Thursday June 28th
Hopkinton Common, 1 Main Street
- Boston – Hatch Shell on the Esplanade – Free Friday Flicks every Friday
Pretty location along the Charles River, big screen, lots of space, lots of people
Movies start around 8; Games before that starting at 6:00
- Wellesley – Summer Films outside at the Davis Museum, Wellesley College
Free museum tours, art activities, free ice cream starting at 7PM
First movie: The Muppets on Thursday July 12th (movie starts at dusk)
- Boston – Sunday Movies at Christopher Columbus Park
Beautiful park in Boston’s North End along the water
First Movie: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on Sunday July 22nd
- Boston – Saturday Night Movies at the Prudential Center (at the South Garden)
Children’s activities start at 6PM
First Movie: The Lion King on July 7th
- More at Boston Central’s Summer Movie Guide
– I don’t know nothing about cooking.
– I’m not doing nothing.
– She didn’t say nothing.
– He won’t do nothing.
– I don’t know anything about cooking.
– I’m not doing anything.
– She didn’t say anything.
– He won’t do anything.
- Use Anything instead of Nothing in negative sentences that contain the word “not” (including don’t, doesn’t, didn’t, can’t, couldn’t, won’t, wouldn’t, isn’t, wasn’t, aren’t, weren’t, hasn’t, haven’t …)
- Usually avoid using double-negatives (two negative words) in a sentence.
- Examples of negative words:
- Not, Nothing, None, Nobody, Neither, Nowhere…
- Examples of negative words:
The Flag Day holiday is on June 14th. It celebrates the adoption of the United States flag on June 14, 1777. It’s common for people to display their U.S. flags on this day, but businesses, schools, etc stay open as usual.
This year, the city of Framingham will have a Flag Day Parade – on Sunday June 10th, starting at 2:30.
Tiny Little Crosswords is a free app for iPhones and iPads. Each puzzle is small – only a few words – so you can finish a puzzle quickly. Some are easy, and some are more difficult. They now give you one free puzzle every day – another good way to improve your vocabulary! Here are a few examples:
(BLUE, RED); (TWO, SIXTY, ZERO); (MAY, APRIL, JULY)
7 D in a W ….. The answer is: 7 Days in a Week
26 L in the A ….. The answer is: 26 Letters in the Alphabet
The puzzles are usually about a commonly-known fact. See how many of these you can get before looking at the answers:
24 H in a D
365 D in a Y
50 S on the US F
5 F on a H and 5 T on a F
MA + NH + RI + CT +VT + ME = NE
4 S (S S A W)
100 C in a D
28 D in F
88 K on a P
12 E in a D
Answers: Continue reading