Here are some sentences from the “Terrible Teacher“. All should be in past tense. Two are correct, and the other six have a mistake. Can you find the mistakes?
- On the weekend, I payed five dollars for a soda.
- I fell happy on the weekend.
- My sister visited me at the hotel.
- There were a party last Saturday night at the hotel.
- The president of the association give a speech.
- We listen and smiled.
- The party was over before ten o’clock.
- The president leave the party at nine o’clock.
After you try to find the mistakes, you can look at the answers below…
- Incorrect – payed should be paid. (The past tense of pay is paid. It’s an irregular verb.)
- Incorrect – I felt happy on the weekend. (Fell and felt are often confused. Fell is the past tense of fall. Felt is the past tense of feel.)
- Incorrect – There was a party (“party” is singular, so use “was“, not “were“.)
- Incorrect – gave a speech (The past tense of give is gave.)
- Incorrect – listened and smiled (Both verbs need to be past tense.)
- Incorrect – The president left the party (The past tense of leave is left.)
There are many more tests like this that you can take on the Terrible Teacher web page.