If you don’t know how to pronounce someone’s name, or you have difficulty repeating their name, here is some help.
One good place to listen to the common pronunciation of many names is YouGlish.
- Type in the name (first name or last name)
- Choose “US” to see only videos using American English
- Below the video, you can change the speed to “slower”, to listen more carefully
- Listen to the name pronounced as part of several videos
Try to pronounce these names by yourself, and then try them in YouGlish, above:
Elijah, Genevieve, Zachariah, Reynolds, Holmes
Finally, if you would just like to hear the pronunciation of a lot of common names, you can try these:
- 100 Popular Last Names on Rong-Chang.com
- Pronouncing Common Last Names (Rachel’s English video)
- Common Boys’ First Names (Rachel’s English video)
- Common Girls’ First Names (Rachel’s English Video)