See 37,000 flags on the Boston Common, visit the huge Museum of Fine Arts for free, and more…
- In honor of Memorial Day – all weekend, until Monday night, you can visit the Boston Common – at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument – to see a display of 37,000 American flags – one for each person from Massachusetts who has been in the military and given their lives to defend the United States, and our freedom.
- On Monday, May 27th, you can visit the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) for free (it usually costs $25). There will also be many special activities and tours that day. The museum is large and impressive. You can spend hours there walking around.
- There’s also free admission on Monday May 27th (10am-5pm) at the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) in Boston. At the ICA, they also offer some free tickets for a Water Shuttle boat ride across the harbor to their small extra museum in East Boston. –
- Lots of Memorial Day parades, including Newton (Sunday), and Sudbury (Monday)
- Large Boston Calling Music Festival at Harvard Stadium
- Spring Festival in Newburyport Sunday May 26th from Noon to 6
- Plus, there are always the many regular family-friendly places in Boston, such as the swan boats at the Public Garden, other museums such as the Children’s Museum, Aquarium, and Museum of Science.
- And more ideas from the Boston Globe and Boston Discovery Guide