Many people like to practice dictation (listening to someone speak and writing what you hear). It helps improve your English listening and writing. You can also use dictation to improve your speaking.
The website englishharmony.com has some suggestions for how to do this:
- Listen to a recording of someone speaking. It’s best if …
- you can understand most of what they are saying
- they’re talking about something you find interesting
- Write down what you hear (pause the recording as needed) and – SPEAK the words out loud as you write them down.
- After you finish writing, read your sentence(s) out loud a few times
- Then play the recording again and try to read along – out loud – comparing your pronunciation to theirs
- Finally, try to tell (out loud) about what you just heard/wrote, looking at your writing as little as possible. Do this a few times
You can start with some short dictation exercises that we have recommended.
Note: The Englishharmony website offers online training to buy. Learning English in MetroWest does not make endorsements for any online training programs.
Listen to lots of common English expressions – spoken slowly, and then more quickly.
If you find these helpful, there are 350 more you can practice.
The Little Prince is a very famous and popular book written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. You can read – and listen to – the book for free in one of three English levels. How many English words do you know?
- Choose Level 1 if you know about 300 to 1000 English words
- Choose Level 2 if you know 1000 to 2000 words
- Choose Level 3 if you know more than 2000 words
On testlanguages.com –
- Mark each word on the first page – if you know it very well
(If you aren’t sure about the word, don’t mark it.)
- Mark each word on the second page – if you know it very well
At the end, they will tell you about how many English words you know.
This is mostly just for fun, but if you study some vocabulary, and then take the test again a few months later, your score should increase a little.
There’s another website to test your English vocabulary called TestYourVocab
Bookbub.com is a website that tells you about free or inexpensive digital books – eBooks.
You can read these books on an eBook reader (such as Kindle or Nook). But you can also read them on your phone, tablet, or computer – usually with the free Kindle App or Nook App. If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can read many of these using your iBooks app.
For example, on BookBub they have listed an eBook version of the popular children’s book I Wish You More, selling now for $1.20 on Amazon .
And here is their latest listing of Free eBooks.